A Travellerspoint blog

Another Glitch

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

We have progressed in the saga of our house sale and move to Coral Park (retirement complex) in Canberra. We have maintained frequent contact with the buyer and our solicitor regarding the Settlement Date and therefor a likely 'move in' date. With a degree of optimism I arranged for a removal on 15 July with some confidence that we could achieve that. The medical hick up described in the previous entry I figured things couldn't go wrong again.

On reflection I arranged for a reschedule of the removal for 22 July given we were promised a 10 July Settlement date. That date came and went with no Settlement, but all sides were confident that 15 July Settlement was all but guaranteed so the 22 July removal was rock solid. I arranged for the electricity and phone line to transfer, terminated our building insurance and submitted the document to re-direct all postal services.

Last Monday with the removal scheduled only a few days away we arranged the delivery of our down-sized furniture which is now stored in a room downstairs. At the time I wrote "Today marks another significant milestone as our downsized furniture has been delivered. The move is now booked for 22 July and we are moving, ready or not. The downsized furniture has arrived partly assembled and some of it still in the original cartons. I suspect we won't be sleeping on the bed that first night, it will take a day or two to find and assemble all the pieces of the flat-pack. We still have more to pack but some things will remain in use until the day of the move and be thrown into a carton at the last minute."

With a week to go and a medical visit to Canberra scheduled for Friday we dropped in on some people to say goodbye. At 16:00 I received a phone call from our solicitor to say that the planned settlement had failed because of a documentation error in the part of the buyer's conveyancer. It looks like this will delay things by at least a week or even longer.

We had agreed with the removalist to go with Wednesday the 22nd regardless with the furniture remaining in storage while we stayed in temporary accommodation but this is beyond the scope of the one or two days we had in mind.

The removalist has been most accommodating and have reschedule us for the 5th of August. As you can imagine it will be no fun living in this place with the content 90% packed. There are no end of other complications such as termination of power, telephone, insurance and postal redirections.

As our number two daughter observed "the best laid plans of mice and men".

If you want to look at what I've been up to you can view my latest photo by following this link to my main album

Wishing you good health and safe travel.

Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 02:58 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint